This page from the trade periodical ‘The Builder’ shows one of the grandest and probably the most quintessentially Victorian houses ever to be built in Stoneygate.
Elmsleigh Hall was designed by Liverpool architects Picton, Chambers & Bradley for cheese factor, cigar manufacturer and ex-Mayor John Stafford. It was built c1874 on land purchased from the D’Oyly estate at an 1867 auction.
The architects’ ground floor plans show the scale and grandeur of cheese factor and cigar manufacturer John Stafford’s new family home.
It was demolished in the 1930s to allow the development of Elmsleigh and Stoughton Avenues.