Extensions and makeovers were as popular with Victorians are they are today. This impressive house, located on the corner of Avenue Road and London Road and set in nearly 5 acres of land, was purchased in 1879 by boot and shoe manufacturer Harry Simpson Gee from the widow of its first owner, hosier Charles Noon.
Built around 1861 and originally named ‘The Laurels’, it was subject to several alterations during its lifetime. The first, which can be seen in the photograph, added a large extension with an additional floor and roof dormers to the west side of the main house.
It was the work of upcoming architects Goddard & Paget who had recently given a radical facelift to Brookfield, a little further along London Road. This one was more restrained; the extension sensitively following the design of the original but with minor variations.