Lyndwood rear view

Lyndwood

Lyndwood rear view
A view of the beautiful gardens of Lyndwood (Photo: Diana Aiken)

Built c1873 for hosier Charles Smith, one of the three partners who developed the Clarendon Park estate in the late 1870s, it was situated between London and Stoneygate Roads, set back from Stoughton Road.

It was later the home of Harold Warner Goddard, a director of silver plate polish manufacturers, J Goddard & Sons Ltd and between 1953 and 1967 a home for the blind run by the Royal Leicester, Leics and Rutland Institution for the Blind.

When the residents moved to new purpose-built premises in Leicester Forest East (the Kathleen Rutland Home), the house was demolished to allow the development of Lyndwood Court.