A house which – at the time it was demolished – stood on Toller Road, roughly opposite Woodland Avenue but which predated both and was set originally in an estate of 40 acres. It was built c1760 for Samuel Oliver, licensee of coaching inn the Three Cranes, and was – as the photograph shows – added to and altered over the years.
The Stoneygate House estate was auctioned in November 1854. Solicitor Richard Toller acquired the house and a significantly reduced estate of just over 7 acres; the remainder was sold to others in 10 lots. On Toller’s death in 1896, the estate was sold to Sir Robert Tempest Tempest of Tong Hall near Bradford who had it laid out for housing development and sold off land along the newly formed Stoneygate Avenue and Toller Roads in parcels.
Stoneygate House itself was sold to engineer Josiah ‘Jess’ Gimson (nephew of Josiah the founder of Gimson & Co) and passed to his son Kingsley Gimson whose family home it remained until his death in 1959.
The house was demolished shortly afterwards and 3-7 Toller Road were built on the site and gardens.